Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
Fit Families Supplemental Nutrition Education Program (SNAP-Ed) is a successful behavior change program for:
- Families with 2-4 year old children enrolled in WIC at Fit Families projects in Wisconsin.
- Staff at Fit Families projects and their organizations.
- Communities that partner with Fit Families projects to implement policy, systems, and environmental changes to help make the healthy choice the easy choice.
- Move More...Watch Less
Encourage Fit Families participants to engage in active play or physical activity for at least 60 minutes every day and to reduce screen time to two hours or less each day.
- Make Every Bite Count...More Fruits & Veggies
Encourage child and their parents to eat the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Make Every Sip Count...More Healthy Beverages
Encourage Fit Families to reduce or eliminate use of sugared beverages.
- Overarching Message: Eat Healthy, Be Active...Your Kids are Watching
Encourage parents to be good role models for their children.
Ways Fit Families Encourages Behavior Changes:
- For families in WIC:
Families enrolled in Fit Families will make an individual healthy habits goal that they will work on for 12 months. The Fit Families coach follows up with the family monthly for guidance, support, and tools to make the changes. Participants receive incentive prizes to help motivate the healthy behavior changes.
- For staff:
Fit Families Coach guides Community partnership staff to become a Fit Families Center and to adopt an organizational or agency wellness policy to encourage staff to model healthy habits.
- For communities:
Fit Families coach develop partnerships with organizations in the community serving low income families with preschool children and other audiences eligible for SNAP to disseminate Fit Families messages and provide educational resources.
Health and Human Services: