Waupaca County Highway Department
Snowplows typically travel at 25-35 mph, which in many cases is significantly slower than the posted speeds. The driver's field of vision is also severely restricted.
- It is illegal (s.346.915, Wis. Stats.) to follow a snowplow closer than 200 feet upon any highway having a posted speed limit of more than 35 mph if the snowplow is engaged in snow and ice removal.
- It is legal to pass a snowplow but care should be taken when attempting this maneuver because it's often difficult to see past the snowplow because of the snow cloud. Also the snowplow's wing blade can extend up to 10 feet beyond the width of the truck. Many snowplow wing blades are hit each season by vehicles attempting to pass the snowplow.
- Between 1984-2004 there were 17 snowplows involved in fatal crashes in Wisconsin. (Snowplow crash information has not been gathered since 2004.)
LIMITS WILL GO INTO
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 20TH
PLEASE SEE THE LINK (ON THE LEFT UNDER
THE WEIGHT RESTRICTION APP TAB -
AND CLICK THE DOWN ARROW v) FOR
INFORMATION ON GETTING A PERMIT.
Welcome to the Waupaca County Highway Department website. We’re hoping to have this site be a resource of information to everyone. Our work crews are gearing up to plow during snowstorms as timely and as SAFE as we can. It is up to our traveling Public to do the same. Please use this website resource as a tool to help inform yourself of department bid information, contact information, or any other highway related topic. Let’s have a safe 2018-19 winter season!
Above is a picture of the steel beams being erected for the new Highway Facility located on CTH A.
The Highway Department is responsible for many functions in the county including, but not limited to:
- The planning, designing, constructing, and maintaining of the county highway system.
- The maintaining of all state highways that travel through Waupaca County.
- The maintaining of many town road systems that hold maintenance agreements with us.
Click here to see our Mission Statement
The Waupaca County Highway Department reminds residents that it is illegal to place private signs such as rummage sale signs, advertising signs “for sale” signs or Realtor signs in the county right-of-way. Signs placed in the right-of-way will be removed by the Highway Department.
515 E Fulton Street
Waupaca WI 54981
Waupaca Office Hours
- April 30th thru October: 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday thru Thursday
- November thru April: 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday
TRAFFIC REPORTS FOR ALL WISCONSIN STATE ROADS:
Call: 1-866-511-9472 or 511 from your cellphone